International Student Services

Experienced staff dedicated to helping international students who are preparing to study and currently studying at Laurentian University


As the hub for international student services and programs, Laurentian International’s staff will answer questions, make recommendations, and help students to navigate the processes and protocols required for international study in Canada. They can also fill you in on the numerous opportunities for Laurentian students to study abroad and gain valuable international experience while earning credits.

Letter Request Form

Letters for current student immigration purposes such as stamped letters of enrollment, invitation letters for family, etc. 

Students must login to their Laurentian email to access Google letter of enrollment request form.

Fall 2019 Orientation 

  • There will be a full program of orientation activities starting on Monday, August 26. All new students should attend the initial orientation session at 9AM on Monday, August 26 in Alumni Hall, 2nd Floor Fraser Building. 
  • Pre-Departure Checklist
  • Welcome Guide


Health Insurance

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

When you come to study or work at an Ontario university, you must have insurance to pay the cost of health care services and medical treatments. The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a mandatory health plan for all international non-residents studying or working at a participating university or affiliated college in Ontario.


Student Association Medical Coverage

As full-time students you have additional medical coverage through your student association health plan. Follow the links below for more information on your extended health plan. Medical coverage through your student association helps pay for services that are not covered under UHIP.

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

Citizens of some countries need a TRV in addition to a Study Permit to enter Canada. See this page on the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for a list of countries whose citizens require a TRV.

As stated here on the IRCC website, a valid TRV is required if an international student leaves Canada and wishes to re-enter Canada. For more information about TRVs.

The application package is available on the IRCC website.

Note: When asked to include a Letter of Enrolment with your application, fill out this form and send it to


Study Permit

Your Study Permit is the document that allows you to stay and study in Canada.

As an international student, it is your responsibility to ensure that your Study Permit is always valid.

For tips on how to avoid application delays, go to this page on the IRCC website.

The application package is available on the Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada website.

Note: When asked to include a Letter of Enrolment with your application, fill out this form and send it to


Invitation Letters

Sometimes, when you or a family member apply for a visa to visit Canada, you or your family member are asked to include a letter of invitation from someone in Canada with the application.

A letter of invitation does not guarantee that a visa will be issued. 

Laurentian University does not issue letters of invitation. You can write a letter of invitation to support a family member or friend who wishes to come to Canada to visit you by following the instructions at the following link:

When you are asked to provide a letter of invitation for immigration purposes you may also be asked to include a letter of enrollment to prove you are in fact a registered or enrolled student in Canada.

To request a letter of enrollment for immigration purposes, email and explain your request and the reason you require the letter. 


On/Off Campus Employment

IRCC regulations permit most full-time international students who hold a valid Study Permit to work on campus up to 20 hours per week while they are registered as full-time students throughout each semester and full-time (40 hours) during the summer and/or holiday periods. 

Some students are also eligible to work off-campus during their studies in Canada. See this section of the IRCC website for more information regarding eligibility and conditions.



Applying for a U.S. Visitor Visa

It is recommended that you live in Canada for at least 6 months before applying for a U.S. Visitor Visa. Further information and links to necessary forms are on the Visa Categories and Requirements webpage of the U.S. Consulate General.

Note: When asked to include a Letter of Enrolment with your application, fill out this form and send it to


Feature Links

English Language Institute - Placement Test

All new students with a conditional indicating English for Academic Preparation (EAP) are required to write our Placement Test prior to the start of the academic semester.  This test assesses a student’s ability in Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking.  Based on these test results, students will be placed in an appropriate level within our program.  Students who present a standardized test score such as an IELTS or TOEFL will also be required to take the Placement Test. 

The Fall 2018 Placement Test will take place on Tuesday August 28 at 9:00 A.M.  All students must register for the test at the Centre for Academic Excellence (CAE), which is located on the main floor of the J.N. Desmarais Library.

Please contact Tamara McLoughlin – Manager of the English Language Institute if you have any questions by email or phone at or 1-705-675-1151 ext. 3721.

  1. Go to Laurentian University’s Flywire payment portal to begin your payment, or click on the Pay Now with Flywire button below.
  2. Enter payment amount in Canadian dollars and select your home country from the drop down. List of payment options will display.
  3. Select payment method from the options listed.
    Note: Local payment options may vary depending on the country you are paying from.
  4. Create (or login to) your Flywire account so that you and Laurentian University can track your payment. Enter some basic information to initiate your payment booking.
  5. Follow instructions to send payment funds to Flywire.
    Note: For credit card or other online payments, enter your card details online to complete your payment in your home currency or currency displayed.
  6. Track your payment any time by logging into your Flywire account. Receive text and email status updates each step of the way, including a confirmation when your payment has been delivered to Laurentian University.


Multilingual Customer Support

Phone: 1-800-346-9252


International Phone Numbers & Frequently Asked Questions

International Student Services

International Programs, 2nd floor Parker, P-210