Dr. Kazakidis is a tenured Associate Professor with B.Sc, MASc and PhD degrees in Mining
Engineering. He has been with the School of Engineering at Laurentian University since January
2001. Prior to that, for a ten-year period, he was the director of Dias Engineering Inc., based
in Sudbury, Ontario, where he gained extensive experience in engineering design and decision
analysis in dealing with mineral resource development projects, as well as management of applied
industrial research projects.
He worked on consulting and industrial research assignments in Canada and overseas dealing
with underground mine design, mining geomechanics, production system analysis, production
simulation, economic impact of ground-related problems, and the impact of mining community
relations on feasibility studies. As part of his work assignments, Dr. Kazakidis interacted with all
levels of a mining company, both at the operating and corporate levels, from the miner at the face
of a heading to the president level of a corporation. This particular experience forms the basis
for the courses Dr. Kazakidis teaches in the areas of mine feasibility, mine economics, design risk
management of mining systems, underground mining methods and engineering economics.
Current research interests focus on close collaboration with the local mining industry and lie
in the areas of flexible mining systems, rapid development, quality control, decision analysis,
underground mine planning, frozen backfill design, risk management in mine feasibility, and
mining community relations. Sources of research funding include the mining industry, NSERC
(Discovery and CRD) and Laurentian University.
|Number of Theses Supervised as Principal advisor||Undergraduate||M. A. Sc.||M. Eng.||Ph. D.|
NOTE: All students are now employed in the Canadian Mining Industry
Chapters in Academic Books:
- Kazakidis, V. and Mayer Z., (2010), Real Options in Underground Mining Systems Planning and Design, Chapter 9, In Real Options in Engineering Design, Harriet Black Nembhard & Mehmet Aktan (eds), CRC Press, Taylor Francis Group, pp. 99-122
Articles (in refereed journals: published or accepted):
- Cheung, D. and V.N. Kazakidis, (2014), “A Methodology for Design Risk Assessment in Burst-Prone Mines: A Case Study”, CIM Journal, Canadian Inst. of Mining, Metallurgy & Petroleum, 5(2), 12p.
- Kazakidis V., Gaidajis G. and Angelakoglou K., (2013), “Evaluation of Environmental and Social Parameters of a Gold-Mining Project at the Prefeasibility Stage: A Case study”, Int. Journal of Global Perspective on Engineering Management (GPEM), World Academic Publishing Inc., 10 p.
- Kenzap, S.A and V.N. Kazakidis, (2013), “Operating Risk Assessment for Underground Metal Mining Systems: Overview and Discussion”, Int. J. Mining and Mineral Engineering, Inderscience Publishers, 21 p.
- Kenzap, S.A and V.N. Kazakidis, (2011), “Simulation of Operating Risk in Mine Feasibilities”, Transactions of the Society of Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (SME), USA, Vol. 330, 7 p.
- Schafrik, S. and V. Kazakidis, (2011), “Due Diligence in Mine Feasibility Studies for the Assessment of Social Risk”, Int. J. of Mining, Reclamation and Environment, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 86–101
- Kenzap, S.A and V.N. Kazakidis, (2010), "Evaluation of vertical shafts excavation alternatives in mines using the analytical hierarchy process", Mining Reporter, The International Journal for Mining, Tunnelling, Equipment and Technology in Germany, 2-2010, with permission from AIMS, pp. 31-36
- Kenzap, S.A and V.N. Kazakidis, (2009), “Quality Assessment of the Development Cycle with Drilling and Blasting”, Mining Reporter, The International Journal for Mining, Tunnelling, Equipment and Technology in Germany, 3-2009, with permission from AIMS, pp. 24-34
- Cardin, M.A., de Neufville R., and Kazakidis, V.N., (2008), “A Process to Improve Expected Value of Mining Operations”, Mining Technology, (IMM A), Inst. of Materials, Minerals and Mining, UK., No 2, pp. 65-70.
- Kenzap, S.A. and Kazakidis, V.N., (2008), “Quality Cost Assessment in Mine Tunnelling with Drilling and Blasting”, Int. J. of Mineral Resources Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 161-177.
- Kenzap, S.A. Peloquin, L.J. and Kazakidis, V.N., (2007), “Use of Discrete-Event Simulation for Evaluation of Quality in Hard Rock Mine Lateral Development”, Int. J. of Mineral Resources Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 49-72
Published conference proceedings and presentations:
- S.A. Kenzap, and V. N. Kazakidis, (2013), “Operating Risk Valuation for Optimization of Underground Metal Mining Systems: Assessment and Applications”, Presentation in the 23rd World Mining Congress, Montreal, August 11-15, 10 p.
- D.L. Cluff, and V.N. Kazakidis, (2013), “Opportunities and Constraints of Engineering Frozen Backfill for Underground Mining Applications in Permafrost”, Presentation in the 10th Int. Symposium of ASCE on Cold Regions Development, Anchorage, AK, June 2-5, 16 p.
- Kenzap, S. and V. Kazakidis, (2011), “Assessment of Operating Risk in Mine Feasibility Studies”, The 22nd World Mining Congress, September 11-16, Istanbul, Turkey, 8 p.
- Kenzap, S.A and V.N. Kazakidis, (2011), “Optimization of Operating Risk in Mining System Through Monte-Carlo Simulation”, Applied Simulation and Modelling, ASM 2011, IASTED, June 22-24, Crete, Greece, 8 p.
- D. Cluff and V. Kazakidis, (2010), “Frozen Backfill for Underground Mine Applications”, ME/MO, Sudbury, Oct., 11 p.
- S.Kenzap and V. Kazakidis, (2010), “Operating Risk in Economic Analysis for the Assessment of Design & Planning Alternatives in Underground Mine Feasibilities”, ME/MO, Sudbury, Oct., 30 p.
- O. Beruar and V. Kazakidis, (2010), “Risk analysis of mining the 4700 crown pillar”, CIM 2010, Vancouver, May 9-12, 10 p.
- S.A. Kenzap and V.N. Kazakidis, (2010), "Evaluation of vertical shafts excavation alternatives in mines using the analytical hierarchy process", Mineral Resources and Mine Development, AIMS 2010, Aachen, May 26-27, 14 p.
- D. Cheung, V. Kazakidis, and B. Simser, (2009), “A Methodology to Assess the Vulnerability of Design Alternatives in Burst-Prone Mines”, MPES 2009, Banff, Alberta, November 16-19, 11p.
- D. Cluff, and V. Kazakidis, (2009), “Evaluation of Frozen Backfill for Open Stope Underground Mining in Permafrost Conditions”, Poster presentation, OCE Discovery, Toronto, May 17-18
- S.A. Kenzap, and V.N. Kazakidis, (2009), “Quality Assessment of the Development Cycle with Drilling and Blasting”, Aachen High Performance Mining, AIMS 2009, Aachen, June 3-4, 21 p.