School of Human Kinetics
Following my graduation from Laurentian University in Outdoor Adventure Leadership in 2005, I went to the University of Manitoba in the Laboratory of Environmental Medicine and subsequently in Finland at the University of Jyväskylä in the Department of Biology of Physical Activity to study the effects of environmental stress on the human body during rest and exercise. My current research here at Laurentian aims at examining how changes in environment temperature influence oxygen availability and extraction in muscles during exercise. My research is closely tied to my teaching in the School of Human Kinetics with Exercise Physiology PHED 3126 and Environmental Physiology PHED 4707.
University of Jyväskylä (Ph.D.) 2014
University of Manitoba (M.Sc.) 2009
Laurentian University (B.P.H.E.: Outdoor Adventure leadership) 2005
Assistant Professor - July 2015 to present
Laurentian University, School of Human Kinetics
Post-Doctoral Researcher - July 2014 to June 2015
University of Oulu, Institute of Biomedicine
My main research aims at investigating the thermal influences governing oxygen delivery and extraction on skeletal muscle metabolism during exercise (NSERC funded). I am also interested into whole-body metabolism during environmental stress and exercise. Additional research interests include energy metabolism and bioenergetics in healthy and diseased populations, immuno-endocrine, metabolic and oxidative responses following acute and long-term strenuousphysical loading
NSERC Discovery Award (2016-2021) Thermoregulatory influences governing oxygen delivery and extraction on skeletal muscle metabolism during exercise
PHED 2507 Physiology II
PHED 3126 Exercise Physiology
PHED 4006 Fitness Evaluation and Presciption
PHED 4707 Environmental Physiology
9. Gagnon DD, et al. (2017) The effects of skin and core tissue cooling on deoxygenation of the vastus lateralis muscle during walking and running. J. Sports Sciences. Vol 35 (20): 1995-2004
8. Gagnon DD, Gagnon SS, Rintamäki H, Törmäkangas T, Puukka K, Herzig KH, Kyröläinrn H (2014) The effects of cold exposure on leukocytes, hormones, and cytokines during acute exercise in humans. PLoS ONE. 9(10): e110774
7. Mäkelä K, Gagnon DD, Leppäluoto J, Herzig KH (2014). Irisin – ‘New Kid on the Block in energy regulation’? Acta Physiol. 211(1): 5-7.
6. Gagnon DD, Rintamäki H, Gagnon SS, Oksa J, Porvari K, Cheung SS, Herzig KH, Kyröläinen H (2014). Low-intensity shivering does not affect fuel selection during short term submaximal exercise in the cold. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 39: 282-291.
5. Gagnon DD, Rintamäki H, Gagnon SS, Cheung SS, Herzig KH, Porvari K, Kyröläinen H (2013). Cold exposure enhances fat utilization but not non-esterified fatty acids, glycerol or catecholamines availability during submaximal walking and running. Front. Physiol. 10 May 2013 | doi:10.3389/fphys.2013.00099.
4. Gagnon DD, Pretorius T, MacDonald G, Kenny GP, Giesbrecht GG (2013). Cardiovascular and ventilatory responses to dorsal, facial and whole-head water immersion in eupnea. Aviat Space Env Med. 84 (6), 573-583.
3. Gagnon DD, MacDonald G, Pretorius T and Giesbrecht GG (2012). Clothing buoyancy affects underwater horizontal swim distance after exit from a submersed vehicle simulator. Aviat Space Env Med. 83 (11), 1077–1083.
2. Gagnon DD, Karinen H, Pullinen T, Rintamäki H and Kyröläinen (2011). Recovery of hormonal, blood lipid and hematological profiles from a North Pole expedition. Aviat Space Env Med. 82(12), 1110-1117.
1. Pretorius T, Gagnon DD and Giesbrecht GG (2010). Core cooling and thermal responses during whole head, face and dorsum immersion in 17°C water. J Appl Physiol; Nutr Metab. 35(5), 627-634.
5. Gagnon DD et al. (2014) Immuno-modulation of combined cold exposure and exercise on leukocyte, endocrine and cytokines responses in humans. Acta Physiol 211(Suppl 696), p 99. Abstract
4. Gagnon DD et al. (2014). Pre-exercise whole-body cooling decreases blood volume and oxygenated hemoglobin content in skeletal muscle during submaximal exercise. FASEB 28 (Suppl 1) 1106.7. Abstract
3. Gagnon DD et al. (2013). Cardiovascular and ventilatory responses to dorsal, facial and whole-head water immersion in eupnea. Appl Physiol Nutr. Metab 38 (10), p 1039. Abstract
2. Gagnon DD et al. (2013). Clothing buoyancy affects underwater horizontal swim distanceafter exit from a submersed vehicle simulator. Appl Physiol Nutr. Metab 38 (10), p 1039. Abstract
1. Gagnon DD (2012). Acute neuro-endocrines responses during combined treadmill exercise and cold stress. Acta Physiol 206 (suppl 691), p 86. Abstract.
2. Gagnon DD (2014) The effects of Exercising in the Cold on Energy Metabolism, Skeletal Muscle Tissue Oxygenation and Immuno-Endocrine Responses. University Library of Jyväskylä, Doctoral Thesis.
1. Gagnon DD (2009). Effects of dorsal, face and whole head immersion on the dive responses in humans. University of Manitoba, Master’s Thesis.